Monday, June 12, 2006

drift

 drift 1
  •  verb [I]
  • 图像 “http://www.driftsession.com/galleries/desktops/drifterxldesktop.jpg” 因其本身有错无法显示。
1    to be moved along by the air or by the movement of the water:
?The boat drifted down the river.
?drift out/towards/along etc: We watched the boat drift slowly out to sea.

2    to move somewhere slowly or gradually, without hurrying:
?drift towards/across/in etc: People were drifting into the stadium.
3    to get into a situation in a way that is not planned or intended:
?I just drifted into teaching as a career.
4    if snow or sand drifts, the wind moves it into large piles
drift apart phrasal verb [I]
if people drift apart, they gradually stop being friends

drift 2
  • noun [C]
1    a large pile of snow or sand that has been blown by the wind:
?massive snow drifts
2    catch/get sb's drift to understand the general meaning of what someone says:
?I don't speak Spanish very well but I think I got her drift.
3    a very slow movement:
?the drift of the continents away from each other


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home