Tuesday, May 23, 2006

expect

 expect
 verb
1    [T] to think that something will happen:
?expect (sb) to do sth: Do you expect to travel a lot this year?You surely don't expect me to drive you home?
?expect (that): We expect the meeting will finish about 5 o'clock.
2    [T] to believe that someone must do something because it is their duty:
?The officer expects absolute obedience from his men.
?expect sb to do sth: We're expected to work late sometimes.

3    I expect spoken especially BrE used to say that you think something is probably true:
?You've had a busy day. I expect you're tired.
?I expect so: "Do you think Andreas will pass his exam?" "Yes, I expect so."
4    be expecting sb/sth to be waiting for someone or something to arrive:
?I'm expecting a letter from Japan.
5    be expecting informal to be PREGNANT


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home